Jacksonville Dog Bite Lawyer
Dog bites are one of the most underestimated causes of personal injury. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs in the U.S. each year. About 885,000 of those bitten need emergency room treatment for their injuries. While deaths from dog bites are rare, these injuries can require extensive medical care, including reconstructive surgery, to correct. They can also cause a great deal of emotional trauma, especially in children, who are the most common victims of dog bites. Speak to a Jacksonville dog bite lawyer at Farah & Farah today if you or a loved one has been injured or attacked by a dog.
Preventing Dog Bite Injuries
According to the CDC, dog bites are most likely to happen to children ages 5 to 9, and children bitten by dogs are more likely than adults to need hospital care for their injuries. Fortunately, parents and families can help prevent dog bite injuries by teaching children how to behave safely around dogs, especially unfamiliar ones.
Teach children to help protect themselves if a strange dog approaches by following these rules:
- Do not approach or try to pet a strange dog without its owner’s permission and supervision.
- Before petting an unfamiliar dog, let it see and sniff you first. Never chase a dog that doesn’t want to be petted, and never poke or pull on an unfamiliar dog.
- Do not run away from a dog or scream.
- If a strange dog comes toward you, stand still. If the dog knocks you to the ground, curl up into a ball and stay still.
- Don’t bother a dog when it is eating, sleeping, or taking care of puppies.
- Tell an adult immediately if you are bitten or injured by a dog. Also, if you see a dog acting strangely, tell an adult. Do not approach a strange-acting dog, as it may be sick or hurt.
Dog Bite Lawyers Dedicated to Ethical Legal Service
A dog bite attack can leave a victim with significant physical and emotional injuries. The compassionate and experienced legal team of Farah & Farah has a wealth of experience helping dog bite accident victims obtain the compensation they need to recover from a traumatic accident and are dedicated to holding negligent parties legally accountable. To see how our Jacksonville personal injury lawyers can help you with your case, please contact us at 877-245-6707.