How Do I File a Formal Complaint Against a Nursing Home in Florida?

Nursing Home Abuse

Posted on September 22, 2019

Nursing home abuse and neglect happen more often than anyone likes to admit. If your loved one has suffered due to the careless, negligent, or intentional actions of nursing home staff, you need to know where to turn.

Today, our Jacksonville nursing home abuse lawyers want to discuss the formal process for filing a complaint against a nursing home. Please know that you may also need to seek assistance from a skilled nursing home abuse attorney. There are various types of abuse and neglect that happen in a nursing home, including:

  • Physical abuse 
  • Sexual abuse
  • Medical mistakes
  • Overmedication 
  • Neglect of basic needs
  • Financial abuse
  • Insurance fraud
  • And more

You should always be on the lookout for signs and symptoms of abuse when your loved one is in a nursing home. 

Steps to filing a complaint against a Florida nursing home

When you need to file a complaint against a Florida nursing home, you will want to go to the state Agency for Health Cara Administration website. 

First, go to to see if the facility in question is overseen by the agency. If it is, you will call (888) 419-3456 or complete the Health Care Facility Complaint Form.

Your complaint can be anonymous. However, if you would like to receive the results of your complaint, you need to give them your name, address, and phone number. By providing this information, you will also be available to answer any additional questions that surveyors have about the complaint. 

  • Give detailed information about your complaint. This includes:
    • Patient/resident name
    • Descriptions of what happened
    • Dates and times of events

The complaint will be immediately sent to the Complaint Administration Unit and assigned priority. The AHCA will determine whether or not they have the regulatory authority to investigate your complaint. If the complaint leads the agency to believe someone is in immediate danger, their field office will conduct an inspection within two business days. 

If an inspection is not conducted, you will be notified as to why that is the case. The agency may refer your case to another agency that does have the authority to investigate your complaint. You may be asked to submit your complaint to another department on your own. If this is the case, the agency will provide you with the proper referral information. 

If an inspection is conducted based on your complaint, you will be notified in writing of the outcome. 

Should I consider securing an attorney

Filing a complaint is only one step you can take when trying to get to the bottom of a nursing home abuse or neglect case. In cases where you suspect gross negligence or intentional acts of abuse on the part of the nursing home staff or the agency, you may need to secure legal assistance. A knowledgeable and experienced nursing home abuse attorney will be able to examine your case and help you make the best decisions moving forward. You and your loved one could be entitled to the following compensation:

  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life damages
  • Relocation expenses if necessary
  • Coverage of medical expenses that occurs as a result of the abuse
  • Possible punitive damages against negligent individuals or the agency

When dealing with instances of nursing home abuse and neglect, you should use every route available to hold those responsible accountable for their actions.