Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Jacksonville


Fatal Accidents & Damages

If you have recently experienced a sudden passing in the family that was the result of another individual’s negligent actions, you may have legal recourse available. Under the Florida Wrongful Death Act, a number of individuals are able to file a civil claim against those responsible for their loved one’s death. However, accurately determining if you are eligible to file and how to accomplish this is best left to a professional personal injury attorney in Jacksonville.

The firm of Farah & Farah has over 30 years worth of courtroom experience, successfully representing those survivors left behind in the wake of a reckless individual’s poor choices. While we cannot turn back the clock, our firm can help you recover the compensation you need to alleviate some of the financial stress that accompanies a sudden death.

Contact our firm, day or night, to discuss your legal options and schedule a free consultation with one of our Jacksonville wrongful death claim attorneys. We have the experience, the resources and the dedication to fight tirelessly on your behalf. Call today at 877-245-6707.

Can I File a Wrongful Death Claim in Florida?

The state of Florida has very specific guidelines when it comes to filing a wrongful death suit, all of which fall under the Wrongful Death Act. Per the law, individuals must have a substantial relationship with the deceased in order to effectively make this claim – not just anyone can file. Special circumstances and potential exceptions abound with this type of lawsuit, which are far too many to cover here. However, the following are the key categories that the state recognizes as “survivors” or “beneficiaries” and have the ability to file suit:

  • Current legal spouse
  • Children – (depending on the child’s age, this can have a serious impact on the compensation)
  • Parents – (depending on the deceased child’s age, this can have a serious impact on the compensation)
  • Blood relatives who are entirely dependent on the deceased
  • Adoptive relatives who are entirely dependent on the deceased
  • Mothers who have children out of wedlock
  • Fathers who have children out of wedlock, provided they have claimed paternity and responsibility

What Compensation Can I Expect?

Monetary awards following a successful wrongful death suit vary just as much as the individuals bringing the case forward. More often than not, it comes down to the person’s relation to the deceased, how long and what kind of emotional, financial and physical support the deceased was providing to that particular individual. When determining the award, the court will weigh these factors, as well as many others, and adjust accordingly. They generally fall into the following three distinct categories:

Economic Damages – Medical and funerary costs, loss of income, benefits and potential inheritance
Non-Economic Damages – Loss of love, companionship, guidance, support, and protection / pain and suffering
Punitive – If the negligence that led to the individual’s death was especially outstanding, a judge may levy punitive damages against the defendant. These damages are considered a form of punishment for the individual’s poor choices.

Call Farah & Farah Today

It is important to note, that wrongful death suits do not remain viable forever. The state maintains a two year statute of limitations on such action. Failure to file within that two year window can lead to a forfeiture of your right to compensation. Don’t wait another day – call Farah & Farah today to schedule a free consultation. Our team is ready to help you bring those responsible to justice and secure the kind of compensation you’ll need to move on. The number to call is 877-245-6707.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.