Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

How to Collect Compensation After Being Hit by an Uninsured Driver

Determining how you will be compensated after being hit by an uninsured driver depends in large part on which state you are in. In the United States, there are 12 states that are “no-fault” insurance states while the remaining 38 states are classified as “tort” states. Florida is a no-fault state but Georgia is not.

In a no-fault insurance state, the default option for receiving compensation after a car accident is to collect payment from your own insurance company, regardless of who was at fault for causing the accident and whether or not the other party is an uninsured motorist. Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance is typically designed to cover 80 percent of your medical bills and expenses, leaving the remaining 20 percent of your expenses to be covered by the other driver’s insurance. However, if the other driver is either uninsured or underinsured it can be tricky to recover this remaining 20 percent. An experienced car accident attorney will be able to assess your case and determine your chances of recovering the compensation that you’re seeking.

How to Protect Yourself Against Uninsured Motorists: Uninsured Motorist Coverage

There are several ways in which you can help protect yourself against uninsured motorists. The first step is to obtain uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. This type of insurance protects you, and generally also any relative who lives with you, financially in the event that you or your relative gets into an accident where the other driver is either uninsured or underinsured. For example, if you are involved in an accident where your claim against an underinsured motorist is worth $50,000 but the underinsured motorist who caused the accident (the at-fault motorist) only has personal injury protection on their policy. If you have UM coverage of $50,000 per person, $100,000 per occurrence, then your uninsured motorist insurance company can cover the medical expenses and settle your case for its value.

Please note that divers in Florida and Georgia are not required to carry uninsured motorist insurance, but that your insurance company is required to offer UM coverage to you and must receive your denial in writing if you decline the coverage. It should also be noted that uninsured motorist coverage, like other forms of insurance, is offered at different coverage levels so be sure to select the insurance level that makes the most sense for you and your family.

Important Tip: No matter what type of insurance you have, it is never a good idea to sign any liability release without first consulting with your insurance company and/or car accident attorney. Sometimes an uninsured at-fault party will try to get you to sign away your rights after a car crash, but doing so directly after an accident is almost never in your best interest.

Need Legal Advice After an Uninsured Motorist Accident?
Collecting compensation from an uninsured motorist after a car accident can be extremely difficult, but having a competent lawyer by your side can make this trying process much more manageable. If you have mounting medical bills and need access to the compensation that you are legally entitled to, contact the experienced car accident attorneys at Farah & Farah today. Our dedicated auto accident attorneys will evaluate your case during a free initial consultation, discuss the likely outcome of the case with you, and get started on your case without delay.