Pharmacy Benefit Manager Express Scripts Drops Onglyza from Coverage
It was announced in late 2015 that Express Scripts would no longer supply the type 2 diabetes medication Onglyza to its customers. Express Scripts, which is the largest pharmacy benefit manager in the United States, provides home delivery of prescriptions by mail. Express Scripts is no longer supplying Onglyza due to injuries and side effects related to using Onglyza.
Onglyza is the brand name for the drug saxagliptin, which was developed and marketed by the multinational pharmaceutical corporation AstraZeneca and approved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2009. Onglyza is one of a handful of type 2 diabetes medications classified as dipeptidyl peptidase 4 (DPP-4) inhibitors. DPP-4 inhibitors are used, in conjunction with diet and exercise, to control blood sugar levels. It achieves this by stimulating insulin production by the pancreas while limiting glycogen secretion by the liver.
Onglyza Side Effects
Onglyza has been linked to a several harmful side effects, including:
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatisis): This is a serious condition that can lead to permanent injury and even death
- Pain in the abdomen
- Pancreatic cancer: Onglyza has been linked to the development of this disease
- Heart failure: At least one wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against the drug’s manufacturer for a heart failure death related to Onglyza use
- Skin reactions (such as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome)
- Thyroid cancer
If you have suffered injury or lost a loved one due to treatment with Onglyza, you and your family may be able to pursue compensation for personal injury or even wrongful death damages. To get the settlement you deserve, it is vital that you consult a pharmaceutical litigation attorney. Farah & Farah is currently investigating injuries and deaths related to Onglyza use nationwide. Let us help you secure the settlement you need to heal and move on from your injuries. Call the law offices of Farah & Farah today for a free consultation at (800) 533-3555.