Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyers
FREE CASE REVIEW
FREE CASE REVIEW
Carbon monoxide is not only a gas that can quickly cause serious harm and even death upon exposure, but it is present in all homes across the state. From stoves to gas-powered lamps, carbon monoxide (CO) is created by fuel burning appliances, and while this is a normal aspect of many products, defects and other problems may result in this harmful gas leaking out. Those who are exposed to a high amount of this gas, especially in closed areas, can quickly fall ill and die without proper medical care.
The Jacksonville personal injury lawyers at Farah & Farah understand that there are many reasons for these types of accidents, but none of them are excusable. It is important to know how these accidents occur and, should you or a loved one fall victim to CO poisoning, how you may pursue compensation from the at-fault party.
Common sources of carbon monoxide include: house fires, furnaces, heaters, motor vehicles, wood-burning stoves, propane-fueled equipment, and gas-powered tools. While all of these devices typically give off a low, safe level of carbon monoxide, should they have a defect or be used in an inappropriate environment, the level of CO may quickly turn deadly. Dangerous exposure is most common in buildings or other enclosed spaces, as there is no way that the gas can ventilate. Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous because it is both odorless and colorless; meaning the only way to know if there is a gas leak is through a detection unit. Commonly, the symptoms of CO poisoning resemble a bad cold or flu, leading many to ignore the warning signs.
Because carbon monoxide cuts off a victim’s oxygen supply, there are numerous complications that can arise depending on the amount of CO and the length of exposure. During and immediately after exposure, a victim will suffer a headache, dizziness, convulsions, nausea, accelerated heart rate, respiratory arrest, and unconsciousness. After enough exposure, the victim may die due to lack of oxygen. After serious exposure, a victim may suffer from mental impairment, memory loss, dementia, amnesia, psychosis, irritability, blindness, depression, and further damage that may last well beyond exposure.