How do I file a claim for damages to my vehicle?


When you are in an auto accident, there are two claims that need to be filed. The first type of claim is an injury claim. The second is a property damage claim. If there is damage to a motor vehicle, a property damage claim should be filed. One major factor to this claim is if you have collision on your policy. If you do, then you can file the claim with your insurance company. If you do not, then you will need to file it against the at-fault party’s insurance company. At Farah & Farah, we will assist you with both injury and property damage claims. 

Property Damage

Property damage liability insurance pays for damages caused when a vehicle accident damages another person’s property. It pays for things like vehicle repairs, the cost of replacing a damaged fence or mailbox after a collision, and other property-related losses. Florida requires drivers to carry a minimum of $10,000 in property damage coverage.


Comprehensive coverage pays for repairs to your vehicle in accidents that don’t involve another driver, such as damage caused by weather or run-ins with animals. Comprehensive coverage often comes with a deductible, which you must pay before coverage kicks in.


Collision coverage pays for repairs to your vehicle in an accident with another vehicle or in certain other types of crashes. Like comprehensive coverage, collision coverage often comes with a deductible. Many auto loan companies require collision coverage until the loan on the vehicle is paid off.


Who will pay for the repair of my car if I am involved in an auto accident?


Typically the at-fault driver pays for the repair costs to your vehicle. You are also entitled to a rental car during the period of time your car is being repaired.

If your car is a total loss, often the insurance company will cover your rental car during the time they are negotiating the fair market value of your vehicle. For example, if the insurance company and you are able to reach an agreement as to the market value of your vehicle within a week of the accident, they will often allow you a rental car for that one week period.

If your car is totaled, you are also entitled to the applicable sales tax on the fair market value of the vehicle.

For example, if you had two vehicles for sale at a dealership and they looked roughly the same, the one that had been in a collision would probably be worth less money. Therefore, if you are able to ascertain a loss of value because the car has been wrecked, even if it is now repaired, you should be able to get that difference paid to you.

At Farah & Farah, we’ve been successful at obtaining a recovery on a claim for diminished value in certain situations. That is when a car has been in an accident and repaired but is now worth less than it was prior to the accident.