11-Year-Old Girl Dies after Being Electrocuted at Mini-Golf Course Near Orlando

Posted on July 3, 2012

An 11-year-old girl was electrocuted at a Celebration resort while attempting to retrieve her golf ball from a pond at a mini-golf course.

Orange County Sheriff’s reported that the little girl’s family was visiting the Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee from New York when the tragic incident occurred. She was playing putt-putt golf at the resort when her ball went into a 2-foot-deep pond and she went in to retrieve it.

Suddenly, she started screaming. A guest from Alabama attempted to rescue the girl, but did not succeed. He was injured during the rescue attempt.

The girl was rushed to Celebration Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner attributed the death to electrocution. Click Orlando reported that a building safety department official said the electrocution may have been caused by a faulty pump connected to an improper circuit breaker.

A statement issued by the Orange Lake Resort said the miniature golf facility had been closed and will not re-open until further notice. The resort cited that it held the “safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern.”

The investigation is ongoing.

Premises Liability

A business owner owes a duty to maintain its premises in a reasonably safe condition for all customers. That’s not just a suggestion; it’s the law in Florida. If a property owner’s negligence has resulted in an injury or a death, they may be held responsible.

The Orlando premises liability attorneys at Farah & Farah have a proven track record of winning verdicts and getting favorable settlements for our clients. If a business owner’s negligence has led to a tragic death, we will help you file a wrongful death lawsuit for your family. Please call us at (800) 533-3555 to schedule a free review of your case.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.