Xarelto and Adverse Interactions With Other Medications
Xarelto Drug Interactions
Blood is one of the most essential elements in our bodies. You can’t live without it. This is why any medication that affects the way our blood acts throughout our bodies needs to be taken with extreme caution. Especially in relation to any other medications we are prescribed.
If you or a family member has suffered an adverse interaction while taking Xarelto with another medication, you need to consult a Xarelto attorney. Farah & Farah been in practice for over 35 years. During that time we have secured millions of dollars in settlements on behalf of our clients. To get the justice you deserve, call Farah & Farah today for a free consultation.
Dial (800) 533-3555 to turn your life around.
What is Xarelto?
Xarelto is the brand name for rivaroxaban, an anticoagulant or blood thinner used to treat and prevent blood clots. It is in a class of medications called factor Xa inhibitors. Factor Xa is an enzyme that is vital to the blood clotting process. Xarelto binds with factor Xa, preventing the formation of the enzyme thrombin, inhibiting the blood’s ability to clot.
What is Xarelto Used to Treat?
Xarelto was introduced in 2011 as a more convenient alternative to the long-used blood thinner warfarin. Warfarin is an effective anticoagulant, but it requires the user to follow strict dietary restrictions and frequently monitor their blood. Xarelto does not require such restrictions and monitoring. Xarelto is most often used to treat people at high risk of blood clots due to such conditions as:
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in the veins of the legs)
- Pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs)
- Patients suffering from a stroke
- Patients at high risk of a stroke or with a history of strokes
- Atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat)
- Arterial sclerosis (heart disease)
- High blood pressure
Adverse Medication Interactions Involving Xarelto
If you suffer from such conditions as liver disease, kidney problems, bleeding disorders, or have had a heart valve replacement, you may be taking a medication that adversely interacts with Xarelto. Such medications include:
- Other blood thinners like warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), etc.
- Medications used to treat blood and circulation problems like cilostazol (Pletal), etc.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen (Aleve), aspirin, etc.
- Certain heart medications
- Anti-seizure drugs like carbamazepine (Tegretol)
- Anti-fungal medications
- HIV medications like indinavir (Crixivan), ritonavir (Norvir), etc.
- Certain herbal medications like St. John’s wort, etc.
Any time you are prescribed a medication, it is advised that you discuss possible side effects and interactions with other medications, at length, with your physician.
Call the Xarelto Adverse Interaction Lawyers at Farah & Farah
If you have suffered an adverse interaction while taking Xarelto with another medication, it is vital that you contact a pharmaceutical litigation law firm. Farah & Farah’s Xarelto adverse interaction attorneys won’t shy away from fighting a pharmaceutical giant to get the settlement you deserve. We handle pharmaceutical cases nationwide.
Call (800) 533-3555 today for a free case evaluation.
Need help now? Speak with a
Patient Advocate now: