Jacksonville Slip, Trip, and Fall Accident Lawyers
Slip, Trips, & Falls
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls account for 30,208 fatalities a year, at a rate of 9.6 deaths per 100,000 population. Falls are the 4th leading cause of death in the nation. Although slip, trip, and fall accidents can result from hazards in the home, medications affecting balance, such as antidepressants, and various health conditions, many serious falls are caused by hazardous conditions on someone else’s property.
Florida property owners are required to exercise reasonable care in the upkeep of their property, and to warn visitors of any hazards. When they fail to do so and serious injuries result from slipping or tripping hazards, property owners may be held liable in slip, trip, and fall premises liability lawsuits.
Our Jacksonville premises liability lawyers at Farah & Farah have been successfully representing injured accident victims since 1979. We have the skills, knowledge, and resources to go head to head with giant insurance companies and aggressively pursue full compensation for all damages.
We have a history of success recovering substantial settlements and verdicts for our clients in a range of personal injury matters, including:
- $750,000 settlement for a slip and fall in a puddle of water in a large retail supercenter
- $198,000 verdict for a woman who suffered a broken ankle from a slip and fall accident caused by a leaky faucet in a break room
- $130,000 settlement for a man who broke his arm in a fall when his pants leg caught on a broken concrete parking stop at a fast food chain
Damages in Slip, Trip, and Fall Premises Liability Claims
When slip, trip, and fall accidents happen because of property owner negligence, the owner may be held liable for all losses suffered by the injured party, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Comparative fault applies in Florida premises liability cases. The fault for the accident might be shared between the property owner and the injured visitor, and damages may be reduced accordingly. For example, if the injured person was awarded $100,000 in damages and determined to be 10% at fault for the accident, damages would be reduced by 10%, leaving the injured party with a recovery of $90,000.
Facts about Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents
CDC provides important public information about falls, including the following facts:
- One out of every five falls results in serious injury, such as head injury or fractured bones
- More than 700,000 people every year are hospitalized because of fall injuries, most frequently hip fractures or head injuries.
- Falls are the most frequent cause of traumatic brain injury.
- Direct medical costs for fall injuries amount to $34 billion annually
- Over 95% of all hip fractures are caused by falls
- 2.5 million older people are treated in emergency rooms for fall injuries every year
The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) reports that:
- Falls are the leading cause of hospital emergency room visits (21.3%), accounting for 8 million visits a year.
- Slip and fall accidents account for more than one million emergency room visits per year (12% of total falls).
- 5% of all people who fall suffer fractures – the most serious consequence of fall accidents.
- Slip and falls are the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims in the nation.
- Flooring and floor materials are a major contributing factor in more than 2 million fall accidents every year.
- Falls from an elevation account for approximately 10% of all occupational fatalities and approximately 40% of compensable fall injuries.
- Falls on the same level account for approximately 60% of all compensable fall injuries.
- Employee slip and fall accidents cost approximately $70 billion a year in compensation and medical expenses.
Do You Need a Trip and Fall Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville?
If you have been seriously hurt in a slip or trip and fall accident on someone else’s property, the best thing to do is to speak with a knowledgeable Jacksonville slip, trip, and fall accident attorney as soon as possible. Our lawyers have provided outstanding representation to injured people in personal injury matters for more than 35 years, and have an impressive track record of success.
At Farah & Farah, we work on a contingency fee basis, and you pay us no legal fees until we settle or win your case. We offer a free case evaluation with no obligation. Contact us today so we can review and evaluate the facts in your case, and advise you of your best course of action. Talk to a law firm you can trust to fight for your right to fair compensation. Call (904) 263-4610 now to discuss your legal options.