Jacksonville Elder Emotional Abuse Attorney
Legal Representation for Elderly Victims of Emotional Abuse
Whether it is due to low wages at nursing homes, or the stress of being a caretaker, the emotional abuse of a nursing home resident is an all too common occurrence.
What is Emotional Abuse?
It can take the form of berating the resident and making them feel guilty. The resident could be cursed at and called demeaning names, humiliated, and intimidated. Treating elders worse than dogs or talking to them like children goes right to their self-esteem and is a cruel form of abuse.
There may be no physical signs of abuse and that means emotional abuse can sometimes go undetected.
Look to staff members who are underpaid and overworked as the source of much emotional abuse.
Signs and Symptoms of Emotional Abuse
You may find that your loved one exhibits changes in their personality as a result of emotional abuse. That may include:
- Becoming agitated and upset
- Withdrawing and becoming non-communicative
- Mood swings
- Your loved one may ignore you
- Your loved one may try to insult and humiliate family members
- The elderly resident may exhibit strange behavior such as biting and rocking
- They may exhibit signs of low self-esteem and depression
- Their condition may degrade
Emotional abuse can be accompanied by depriving the resident of basic needs including:
- Withholding food and water
- Withholding medication
- Withholding daily care and grooming
- Withholding food
- Withholding access to the toilet
- Failing to keep the resident turned in bed to avoid bed sores
Call (904) 263-4610 for a 24/7 Free Consultation with a Jacksonville Elder Emotional Abuse Lawyer
Unfortunately, many elderly residents of nursing homes are unable to communicate their basic needs and discomfort to someone who can help, so caring caretakers must be especially sensitive to the signs of emotional abuse.
At Farah & Farah, we have experienced Jacksonville nursing home abuse attorneys throughout Florida who can investigate your case and track down former employees to help build a case against a deficient nursing home.
Don’t let any abuse occur to your loved one or anyone else. Get involved and get help. Our downtown Jacksonville offices will schedule your appointment to get started.