Biker Hit by a Drunk Driver
DUI accidents have the potential to result in catastrophic injuries or even deaths. When someone drives a vehicle under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, they put others on the roadway in significant danger, especially motorcyclists who are in a more vulnerable position than someone who is in a passenger vehicle. Motorcyclists are especially in danger because they have very little to protect themselves other than helmets and gear.
Driving under the influence is a criminal offense in Florida. People driving under the influence who cause injuries are criminally prosecuted. But, this does nothing to compensate motorcycle accident victims or families that have lost loved ones with their physical, financial or emotional losses. The experienced Jacksonville accident attorneys at Farah & Farah will fight hard to pursue maximum compensation for all your losses. Contact us to find out how we can help you.
Injuries Suffered by Motorcyclists
When a motorcycle collides with a passenger vehicle, or worse, a big rig truck, it’s the motorcycle rider who ends up suffering catastrophic injuries. Motorcyclists can get thrown on the hard pavement or against other vehicles in an accident. Often, motorcycle accidents involving DUI drivers happen when the driver makes an unsafe lane change, an illegal turn, or swerves into opposing lanes of traffic.
Here are some of the most common injuries suffered by motorcyclists and their passengers in an accident:
- Traumatic brain injuries – These include a range of head injuries from concussions to skull fractures or bleeding or swelling in the brain. People who suffer serious brain injuries often have lifelong disabilities and a significant drop in quality of life.
- Spinal cord damage – Spinal cord injuries could leave a victim with chronic pain. In the worst case scenario, a rider or passenger could be paralyzed.
- Internal organ damage – Examples of these types of injuries include a punctured lung or spleen, or kidney injuries.
- Burns or road rash – When a motorcyclist or passenger is dragged on the roadway, they may suffer significant road rash injuries. These can be extremely painful and leave people permanently scarred and disfigured.
- Loss of limbs – Limb amputations are common consequences of motorcycle accidents. These are catastrophic injuries that leave victims with permanent disabilities.
- Broken bones – Because of the impact on their bodies, motorcycle accident victims often suffer multiple fractures, which could take months or even years to heal. Some of these fractures never heal completely.
If You Have Been Injured by a Drunk Driver In Florida
If you’ve been injured in a Jacksonville motorcycle crash caused by a driver under the influence, it is important that you take all the necessary actions to protect your legal rights. Make sure a police report is filed and obtain a copy of the report. Get immediate medical attention and treatment for your injuries. Make sure to get contact information for all parties involved, including anyone who witnessed the incident.
Contacting experienced Jacksonville DUI motorcycle accident lawyers who have successfully handled cases involving DUI victims should be your next move. You may be eligible for financial help for damages including medical expenses, lost income, hospitalization, rehabilitation, pain and suffering and emotional distress. The attorneys at Farah & Farah will represent you in the official investigation and make sure your legal rights and best interests are protected. Contact us at 855-797-9899 for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.