Studies have shown that rollover accidents cause more fatalities than any other car crash. In fact, sports utility vehicles (SUVs) have been considered the vehicle that can potentially cause the most serious injuries if involved in a rollover accident. An accident involving a rollover can be life-altering for injured passengers and their families.
Rollover Accident Statistics
In a January 2010 research report by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), it was reported that rollover accidents have been a major safety initiative for quite some time and one of the most perplexing. The ongoing research by the NHTSA and other organizations hopes to define the causes of rollover accidents in an effort to design better roads, auto parts and vehicles. This same study has reported the following statistics about rollover accidents:
- Almost 10 percent of rollover accidents are trip-over crashes on roads or highways.
- Almost 50 percent of rollover accidents are trip-over crashes on the side of a road.
- About 12 percent of rollover accidents are caused by vehicles crashing into other vehicles.
- Approximately 25 percent of rollover accidents occur on roads or highways.
- Approximately 66 percent of rollover accidents occur on the side of a road.
- Almost 50 percent of motor vehicles experiencing a rollover accident were manufactured after 2000.
Injuries from Rollover Accidents
Rollover accidents usually result in the driver or passengers hitting the roof of the vehicle. Injuries reported during rollover accidents involve the head, neck, spine and chest. Manufacturers need to ensure the crashworthiness of the roof, and to further improve safety design seatbelts, airbags and seat backs.
Jacksonville Rollover Accident Attorneys
Chances are if you are involved in a rollover accident, you will need medical attention immediately and for the unforeseeable future. The cost for such treatment can be quite high and before you know it medical and out-of-pocket expenses can produce more anguish. If you or a family member were hurt in a rollover accident in Florida, seek the legal advice of an experienced attorney. A Jacksonville auto product liability lawyer, such as the team of legal professionals at Farah & Farah, P.A., can help get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.